Many people wonder about the benefits of copyrighting their music with the United States Copyright Office. Registration of a copyright is not required for your work to be protected by copyright, however, there are certain benefits and protections of the law that you will only get with registration. For example, you cannot file a copyright infringement case in federal court (the court that handles copyright cases) if you have not registered!
Registering your mark with the United States Copyright Office gives you the following benefits*:
- Public notice that you own the work;
- Listing in the United States Copyright Office’s online databases;
- The ability to bring a lawsuit to protect your work against infringement in federal court;
- A legal presumption of your ownership of the work in court (if certain conditions are met);
- Statutory damages and attorney’s fees (i.e. more money!) can be awarded to you if you win an infringement suit (if certain conditions are met). This is in addition to the award of actual money damages you would be entitled to if you won your case; and
- The ability to record the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods.
Filing a copyright application is best done by someone experienced in filing copyright registrations as the applications can specific information and can also be quite confusing to someone who has never filed one of these applications before.
IAR’s experience in filing copyright applications will eliminate the headache and confusion associated with trying to file an application yourself. After you purchase this Copyright Registration service, you will complete an straightforward questionnaire about the work(s) you wish to register and submit copies of your work (such as mp3 files) for IAR to submit with your application. The whole process should be quick and easy, allowing you to spend minimal time on this important part of your band’s checklist and get back to making music.
This service is for the registration of 1 – 12 Titles. If you need to register more titles, please see the following:
* List of benefits adapted from Copyright Basics Circular 1, available at www.copyright.gov.